why do u read poems ??

• silent eyes
    17 years ago

basically the same reason. my life sucks so i read them to know im not alone.

• Purple
    17 years ago

I read poems to hear the rythem and simplicity that comes from poems structure, the fluidness of the ryhms and eneregy of the poem. (To hear the talent in my head in other words.) I also read so I can feel what the person was feeling, connect for a momment with a life other then my own in a way I usually can not through every day speach. I read so I can hear other's story and admire their strength for going through the life they have...

I read because I feel like I get some thing out of it, and so did the writter.

I also seldom do read poetry, because my standards are so high and I do have trouble enjoying poetry that doesn't reach that standard. If you comment on one of my poems, I'll glance at yours, but chances are I won't fully read it and comment.

• Vic
    17 years ago

i read poetry for no good reason.. .just for the hell of it.. i dunno, that's just me.. they don't help me write mine, but hey it makes me feel okay that other peoples' lives are as bad if not worse than mine..

• Choose xX Alex Xx Life
    17 years ago

i read poetry so i can realte to them and be able to express my own opinions better xxx alex xxx

• Tara Kay
    17 years ago

i love reading poems, to see other people's views on the world, i like to read poems to see how others are feeling.
    I only write them to get out my feelings or what i see.
    reading poetry is awesome but it takes talent and a gift to be able to write it beautifully

• donna
    17 years ago

I read poems, because I am interested in people and their views on different things.. I write because it is my best way and only way of expressing how I feel.. I only enjoy poems that have emotion and feelings in them, poems that makes me feel their pain/love/sadness/happiness etc.. poems that make me smile, cry or think about what has been written xx

• Ed or Ian Henderson
    17 years ago

I read the poems of others because people absolutely fascinate me. I am told I'm a "good listener" because I will actually sit and lsiten to pretty much anyone moan about pretty much everything.

How you write poetry and the content of the poems says a heck of a lot about the type of person you are, the expectations you have in life, and how you want others to perceive your impression of the world. I won't comment on any individuals, but I do notice that older writers write about life experience and the real world, whereas the young writers spin tales of misery and woe more readily.

To quote the great philosopher, Batholomew Simpson: "Making teenagers depressed is like shooting fish in a barrel."

It's all gravy. :-)

• Mommy And Me
    17 years ago

I read poetry because it helps me keep a level head when I dont know where i am heading no more.
    when everyone is having 'relationship problems' or family problems its good to get back from it for a little while and think about life in itself and poetry can help you reach that if you truely wish to see beyond depression.

haha my sister used to always say its all gravy.

• Truest Lies
    17 years ago

Because I can.

They are a source of immense creativity, emotion, expression and opinion.

Because I love words. With a passion.

//T.L.//

• AGirlWorthFightingFor
    17 years ago

I will read the poems of others if the poets themselves intrigue me, or I am refered to them or their work by others. and like what I hear.

or if I'm bored and battling writers block, I will suffer to scroll though until a title grabs my attention.

otherwise, no, I hate reading poetry.

• Lee
    17 years ago

I read poems to see what the other person is feeling or thinking and because i'm bored

• AGirlWorthFightingFor
    17 years ago

and Ed, I love that quote~!

"Making teenagers depressed is like shooting fish in a barrel." lollapalooza..pumpkins...lol

• Chelsey
    17 years ago

Because I write them duhhh lol jk

Well actually I'm not kidding..I write poems so why not read others to get inspired by what someone else said or try to write like they do or pick up a new style!

• Deana
    17 years ago

I`m trying to understand why so many people on a poetry site don`t seem to really love poetry. I read other peoples poetry because its like getting a glimpse of their heart,their loves, their pain , their lives, It makes me feel a common bond with humanity. I feel I know some of you through your sharing of whats inside your heart, but then I`m an incurable romantic.

• amandaa
    17 years ago

Why do we look at art? Why do we read books? Why do we listen to music?
    I read poetry because it fills me up. Sometimes I am so overwhelmed with a good poem I just want to cry (and have, often times.). Sometimes we're comforting by other people who understand us, we see, from there poetry.

I need the rhythm of a poem in my life, the inspiration of twisting words.

• Sweet lig
    17 years ago

i read poems coz it inspires me a lot and sometimes i feel too much good. poems also help me to forget some problems in my life for while,,, reading poems is very inspiring...and its express me a lot of things i love poems very..

• HumanAngel
    17 years ago

For ideas and creativity and to appreciate the work of others. Its great to lose yourself in someone elses poems.

Human Angel

• Kirsty palmer
    17 years ago

i agree with ^^ its nice to be able to read a persons poem, and feel so strongly and relate so well to what they have written, that you can then go off and write your own poem.

• blueyed baby
    17 years ago

i agree with you if reading a poem takes the pressure of life off your back and makes things more simplier then why not read one it does touch you rheart to understand what other people think about life love and sadness. you know when you read one that you aint the only peroson out there who feels the same way..

• Esther
    17 years ago

i read peoms coz i love reading poems that r good but i hate reading boring poems!!

• Bitt3rSw33t
    17 years ago

To me it's amazing to read about other peoples' feelings. People really put their thoughts and emotions into their poems. I also love how people can relate through poetry.

• Imogen
    17 years ago

becuase it's fun seeing other people's work!

• Cassie Cain
    16 years ago

I read poems to see what kind of work they give the audience and to see if theres something i can do better or the same with more meaning, well yeah better.

• xx Danii xx
    16 years ago

I read to see if i can relate to them and to know im not alone when life is been a prick with me lol and to see if i can improve me own poetry like xxx

• BrokenREALiTy
    16 years ago

For inspiration.

• Hatori
    16 years ago

^agreed. If I read a poem, I feel inspired, and they tend to make me happy. I dunno why though.

• Krazikoko
    16 years ago

To know the person.

• Dian PH
    16 years ago

Because i really love poems...

besides when i am reading it i feel the inspiration, happiness and even the sadness of the writter...

• Rose not your average
    16 years ago

I read poems beacuse i want to know i am not alone and what other people are feeling

• ECILA ice
    16 years ago

I read it to have inspiration and to appreciate other's work coz i like poems..

• BlueDreams
    16 years ago

Poetry is just simply, take a pen and write them to the paper, i write what i feel.... don't you think its just simple...?

• Zima Ultifera
    16 years ago

Couse i love to see what other people write these days...

• Mr M
    16 years ago

One of the marks of any good writer, beit poems or novels, is in the exercize of writing itself. Well known writers write everyday whether they write garbage of not; whether anyone will every read it or not. And it is really no different than physical exercize in that it only strengthens you and makes you better at it. Some things I write, I wouldn't do anymore with than line someone's bird cage but I always keep these things and referr to them at a later time with a fresh perspective and perhaps I can actually do something much better with it then.

• S R P
    16 years ago

Inspiration.. Relation.. Enjoyment. Many many reasons

• Rose not your average
    16 years ago

I read them cuz i like to read poetry and it expresses other peoples feelings and u can relate to some

• Amy
    16 years ago

To improve my own writing

• azii
    16 years ago

I somehow agree with marissa.
    When I read a poem which somehow reminds of my own situation, experiences and feelings, it really makes me feel good.

• blackheartslove
    16 years ago

I read poetry bcuz i can relate sumtimes and it makes me feel less alone in life, i read also because its beautiful.... good poetry is just the best to read bcuz of the flow and just the way some material is implied as to a book where they simply state it.

• Veamm
    16 years ago

I read because i love poety and it relate to me well..well i read because its my bad habit

• anabel
    16 years ago

I read poetry because it help me broden my horizon in different field.
    another, to feel what the writing trying to tell his/her reader.
    if i'm sad i read sad poem, if i'm inlove i read love poem...maybe its the thought that wharever i feel that moment, other fcan feel the same too...