Rhymer annoyance

• deadly sun
    16 years ago

I really don't like this new rhymer, i think it will take a small somthing away from poetry if people overly use it. what do you think?

• Beautiful Chaos
    16 years ago

Even if there is no rhymer on the site, people use one.

• Meet Me On Thames Street
    16 years ago

Well ive never used the rhymer on this site but i have used one on elsewhere. But even when i do use a rhymer its only when i can't think of anything no matter what i try and i desperately need to find a rhyme. So I dont think its that bad if people don't constantly use it.

• deadly sun
    16 years ago

Still i think that it wasn't needed. as you say if your desperate for a ryhming word then use i rhyming site. having this at hand will just tempt people to do it more and i like it when people think thier poems through and come up with everyword themselves.
    I agree that i think its a bit of a cheat sheet in all fairness.

• Robert Gardiner
    16 years ago

I agree with Eric, as to these being reference tools and as to meter being important. I would agree also, that some people might overuse (or should I say misuse) the rhymer. You just can't put anything (word) in your poem just to make it rhyme. It has to work for your poem (what you're writing). Unfortunately, some don't understand that, but If people use the rhymer correctly, it an excellent tool.

• Robert Gardiner
    16 years ago

^^

You're right. It does take time to learn and master the craft, but most of all, it takes the commitment to being a good/great poet. And as of learning, one of the things that has to be learned is how to rhyme and use rhyme effectively, if you're choosing to rhyme in your poems. As for meter, it's extremely hard to master, which is why I never worry about mastering it. As long as your rhythm and flow is right, you're fine. All meter is rhythm that sets your poem, the rhythm and offsetting rhythm from line to line. But the most important thing, if you're trying to be a "serious" poet, is your commitment to the craft and to improving therein.

• Big hersh
    16 years ago

Yes i totally agree doing this in my opinion does not make you a true poet

• Jaymes Haze
    16 years ago

Think of it this way.
    Even professional lyricists and poets will use a rhymer or rhyming dictionary.

But the ones that just come at you from out of nowhere, will always be the greatest.
    Sometimes people just need to have something to lead up to and lead away from it in there art.

• Sourav
    15 years ago

Rhymer is a good tool and no harm using it. Unless you have a vast range of vocabulary. personally I believe less you use it the better it is.

• dandelion
    15 years ago

If you dont like rhymer then dont use it.. its for those who wants rhyme in their poems but do not have the word.. rhymer gives them a clue..

• Moose
    15 years ago

Www.rhymezone.com

Its a site I've used multiple times.
    Yeah SOMETIMES the millions of rhymes written on the back of my notebook dont fit and I need some help, but I also use it for editing my work, it has expanded my vocabulary SO DRASTICALLY since I first started writing.

To be honest, PROPERLY using a rhymer can help you greatly. Especially if you are trying to go. I say its a great addition, as long as it is used in moderation.

• David ODonnell
    15 years ago

I agree with Lonely Romeo, I've used rhymezone once or twice because I couldnt quite get the right word I wanted for a poem and it can be fustrating but as for it being a 'cheat sheet' I don't think so, it doesn't write the poem for you so people who use these sort of things still need to have an intial idea of a poem first.

• Kevin
    15 years ago

I say it can be helpfull at times,, but if you want something from the heart,, then think your own shit

• The Angel of Secrets
    15 years ago

I guess a rhymer is okay for beginners who really want to rhyme, but I find the poem is better when it's not forced by rhyming (meaning, the rhyming should be natural)

• The Lonely Rose
    15 years ago

If ppl lik the rhymer then they should use it, if not then dont...

When I try to rhyme wit a rhymer..i cant think of anything...so i end up not rhyming.....or thinkin of simple ones..

• adriaan
    15 years ago

I couldn't stop laughing when I saw there was a rhymer on the site...can't people rhyme by themselves? It's good practice for expanding your vocabulary, too. Using the rhymer on a website is wasting it a bit.

• adriaan
    15 years ago

I was referring to the people on this site, not all those various famous poets. I didn't say that any of them used a rhymer (and if they had, their poetry would have suffered greatly, not that it was invented yet in some cases).

But if you are ABLE to use a rhymer and have access to one, then don't use it, like I was trying to say.

• adriaan
    15 years ago

Doesn't the rhymer help to make poems worse? I think that if you used one to help you write poetry, it wouldn't be all your own work. And it wouldn't be original.

• adriaan
    15 years ago

Well, I suppose you could have a point there. But it sounds to me a bit like using Babelfish to translate words in different languages - you come out with rubbish. Either you come out with a word that you really don't want, or one that doesn't really fit in the rhythm of the poem. If by some chance the word IS the one you want, you'd probably have worked it out anyway if you'd sat down and thought about it a bit longer.

Oh well, I always write my poems on paper first so I never use a rhymer. I mean, I wrote 2-3 poems on the train to work today. A rhymer wouldn't have helped much.

• Nee
    15 years ago

Rhymer doesn't make the poem worse or anything
    I use the rhymezone only to remind me of the words that rhyme with the one I write..and my work is still good.
    Plus the rhyme could go off without a rhymer anyway, it doesn't have to be perfect you know.

• Blueleo
    15 years ago

LOL, I don't know about you, but I find it almost impossible to use those things. They never have a word that fits. The only thing they actually help with is to get me started thinking of words that rhyme. Now, those syllable counters, those are great. I don't think it's cheating to use a rhyming dictionary, but if you completely depend on it, then it will destroy the quality of your poems and you will lose that ability to think quick on your feet. Occasional use is not a bad thing though, especially when your mind goes blank. They help stir your thoughts.

• Invited
    15 years ago

I don't necessarily think it is a severe problem- it us up to people if they use it or not. But poetry depicts emotions and what you can come up with not what some rhymer depicts.

~Chinwe~

• LoreNz0
    15 years ago

I use ryhmezone sometimes and i dont think a rhymer isnt a cheat at all. creativity in a poem cant b ruined by simply being told wht ryhmes with wht. thers more to poerty than the the last word of each line, its not like it gives u the whole poem or even a line. just a word that you yourself hav to find a rhyme to.

if u ask me u should let these tools expand ur vocabulary and give u greater insight into the english/which ever u write in language. also for those who hav trouble writing rhyming poems, its a good aid.
    if you dont like it dont use it.

• Lori
    15 years ago

I think that the rhymer is a good technique. Like James said, some people get stuck on one poem and they just need a little help to open up their word choice a bit. I don't think it does any harm.

• kevin Boundy AKA the ghost
    15 years ago

I dont know about calling it a cheat sheet because the ones ive seen only give you a word you still got to fit the word into a sentence that sounds right so what it gives you a single word what you do with it is your choice it doesnt write the poem for you.

• Austin
    15 years ago

I think it is fine. If it helps you write poetry then great, if you don't understand what you're writing, then you just look like an idiot. Either way, it works.

• Nicole the Fairy
    15 years ago

I think it has it's pro's and con's

Pros:
    - Helps find rhyming words for you
    - Can be an answer which you long for -- take ages to find a rhyming word

Cons:
    - Does take the creativity side of poetry away
    - A little like cheating

Also, I have a rhyming dictionary, which I got years ago, and it's like my diary. I love it to death, and finding rhyming words is like a whole new mystery, and I think that it gives me more and more ideas everytime I read a different rhyming word out.

So, I think that if everyone had a rhyming dictionary (online/book), it would be handy, but if you don't like them, then don't use them =]

*My opinion*

=D

xx

• Michaela T
    15 years ago

Rhymer????????
    what a silly thing!!!
    I don't think so, a good poet needs it.

• SHYSTY23KO
    15 years ago

Rhyming doesn't make a poem any less than perfect... it all has to do with whats in the poem, rhyming doesn't matter! although when rhyming, it does hold people back and its harder to flow just right. i have a hard time being happy with my pieces if they don't rhyme, i just dont know how to make a good poem that doesn't rhyme! i dunno, its complicating to me!

• Blueleo
    15 years ago

I don't use the rhymer on this site because my needs are a lot more complicated, but I do a use a rhymer. I use it less and less as I write more, but I still use it. Sometimes you just can't think of something and a rhymer helps to give you that extra umph.

• James
    15 years ago

In all my poems i try to rhyme as much as possible just to create a little beat in my poem as well as rythym. I know some of you have argued that true poetry doesn't come from rhyming and i accept your point of view. In the end i quess every poet has a technique of their own whether they are or are'nt a true poet. I rarely use a rhymer because i believe that the words cannot be found by others but by what you believe is the best possible word. I only use a rhymer in a case where i cannot find any words out of my head.

• a broken smile with a broken heart is a poets life
    15 years ago

I like rhyming..but i don't use it as much in my poems...simply because my poems reflect what my feelings are.. sometimes people use alot of rhyming in their work because they think that's the way poetry is supposed to be...but i think it takes away that unique style each poet is supposed to have..
    for personal emotions i don't think there is supposed to be any rules...but i do however encourage creativity with poems..
    hopefully this made sense and i didn't just babble away..

**Ada**
    *aBSwaBHiaPL*

• music4pumpkins
    15 years ago

I think writing is a talent, and it shouldn't matter if you use a rhymer or not. it doesn't really make a difference. besides rhymers were made to improve and make writing easier, if you think it takes away from this art then you don't have to use one. how ever for some people it just improves them, everyone needs help sometimes.
    and i'm almost positive at least one poem that you've read that you've liked has used a rhymer.

• gasping for air
    15 years ago

You can't grow as a writer, if you don't open yourself up to new and different things. If you stay stuck in the same ole stuff then you can't get better... And for some people that includes a rhymer! For all of you who say that poets should be able to rhyme without a rhymer, i feel you're poking at us who do use them as if we are stupid. It takes a good writer to know how to make their poetry better...

• Baby Rainbow
    15 years ago

I dont see it as a problem, i dont use it becaus enot all my poems rhyme and i think its better when you find th eowrd in your head if you can xx

• Dark Savior
    15 years ago

It's a tool to be used with all your other tools, pen, paper, dictionary, spell check, etc. It's like a Thesauras. I know that I sometimes look up words that I'm unsure of and think about it for a while, if the poem means a lot to me.

I think of this as nothing more than a tool. There will be those 'poets' who use it as a crutch, but the problem with a crutch is that it can only be used for so long before you fall over.

That is just a thought. Then again I am really tired, and perhaps this doesn't make sense to anyone but me.

• Brittany C
    15 years ago

I agree with Dark Savior.

There is nothing wrong with using it.

• anonymous lover
    15 years ago

I also don't think it's wrong to use it but for me
    personally it doesn't really help..I don't find a phrase that acctually FITS to the poem with the
    certain word. I seems way easier for me if I write
    it by myself but I guess it different for everyone..

• AnCi
    15 years ago

All poems do not have to rhyme.. for me it's all about feelings and if somebody can provide that without rhyming that's great!

• Sherry Lynn
    15 years ago

Wow.. I completely forgot we even had a rhymer LOL.

No, I do not use one. Maybe I should, but I do use a dictionary and a thesaurus when needed.

If someone is using a rhymer to help them expand and grow that is great but if they are using it because they are lazy and do not even bother to learn the meaning of the word then shame on them.

As with every gift in life it has a purpose and could be good or bad depending upon the receiver and how they choose to utilize it.