George Floyd.

• Poet on the Piano
    3 years ago, updated 3 years ago

Wasn't going to post but what the hell.

Don't know how many of you have heard this in the news, but an unarmed African-American man by the name of George Floyd was murdered on May 25 in Minnesota. He was pinned down for 8 minutes and 46 seconds, and witnesses have videos of George saying "I can't breathe" and "don't kill me". The four officers involved were fired the next day, which is a rare occurrence. Usually, it takes years for officers to be reprimanded and often it's just a slap on the wrist. I can't think of an instance recently were an officer was actually arrested for aggression or assault.

I don't know if protests are happening in your city but it's a historic day in mine. I live about 15-20 miles outside city limits, but still call Fort Wayne, Indiana (population of over 250,000) my city. It's the 2nd day of protests here. My sister lives downtown and planned to join in yesterday before it escalated. She walked toward downtown today, and was tear-gassed MULTIPLE TIMES. I fking lost it. We're keeping in contact luckily.

There is live footage from last night of the police showing up out of the blue after protestors blocked one street, tear-gassing protestors by our Courthouse without any megaphone, without any warning. The newscasters and anchors were teargassed. People walking away and not even part of the protest felt the effects of it. It was essentially a peaceful protest (you can debate whether blocking one road is peaceful or not, but I believe it to be a form of legitimate protest). So of course, our city is even more furious with the police because there was no communication. The police teargassed not just those on the ONE street, but those in the lawn, those stuck in traffic. Then they proceeded to block off several more streets, which the protestors had only blocked off one small section. So in comparison, the police obstructed traffic to a much greater degree. This is the largest protest Fort Wayne has had in like a decade or maybe in my lifetime. We have some awesome activist groups that have arranged Black Lives Matters rallies over the years, but at most, 50 people showed up and I've never seen as much news coverage as this weekend. Today, hundreds and hundreds of people came out. Many wearing masks. People from all different backgrounds. One news station had live footage from a rooftop, and there were a line of people who had their fists in the air in solidarity while one guy had NWA's song "F the Police" playing on his boombox.

It shouldn't take protests happening close to you to realize how big this is, how emotional it is, but sadly, that's the case. There was NO planning by the police. NO de-escalation tactics. Finally, the police used megaphones and warned those blocking the street. Tear gas was used, yet again, and a woman who was off on the side, not even on that particular street or sidewalk but in a separate lot, went down and others rushed to help her. Our sheriff urged news media to not record. Hmm, I wonder why. Because, though people will still choose ignorance, there's going to be undeniable evidence that the police egged people on. Imagine if the police took a knee instead. Imagine if they acknowledged George Floyd, said his name. Said Black lives matter. Imagine we could live in a world like that.

I'm sick of people looking at footage like this and saying people of color are violent or that this is what's wrong with protesting. If the police cared and if the government wanted to help, they would listen and stop giving police and others such a position of power and toxicity. There would be consequences for one's actions. Police and those in power should not be protected from this or excused.

There may always be the argument of what constitutes as a peaceful protest, and maybe we can debate about that here respectfully, but a big part of me feels like all the blame shouldn't be on protestors if it does turn violent. Protestors here have been actively trying to stop the instigators and those who are choosing to vandalize. The majority of protestors want reform. This is nothing knew. Cops keep killing those who don't deserve to die. On another angle, we shouldn't be policing others' anger and outrage. The media shows the escalation and the severity of these protests without the general public realizing that people of color have been demanding justice for decades, yet are continually silenced. I'm sure if my community was harassed and living in fear, that I wouldn't go down quietly. This is one of the only ways people are going to pay attention because history keeps repeating itself. My anger at the situation is NOTHING compared to people of color who see their communities and family members murdered at an alarmingly high rate. Statistics show unarmed people of color are more often targeted by police. It's also depressing beyond belief that they have to be murdered for anyone to even notice there's an issue. And in our city's case, that a protest of this size had to happen for people to wake up and see this has been going on for decades. Literally decades. Fort Wayne has its issues with crime but is a decent place to live. It's growing more diverse and has some kicka** activists who are starting projects to help strengthen the city. But we are still backwards. There is no forgetting about racism, or making it disappear. If we can acknowledge this, instead of turning the other way and telling others to "quit making it about race", maybe we could have a helpful discussion.

This is so much bigger than ourselves, and I wish people would see that.
    It's not JUST the death of George Floyd. It's systematic racism and everything encompassing that.
    It's more than politics. It's more than whether or not you support our president.

That's all I want to say.
    Please say their names. Black lives matter.
    Please also share your thoughts. I think it's our duty to speak up and not fall into comfortable silence.

• Hellon replied to Poet on the Piano
    3 years ago

MA...I don't know how many times in the past few years I've wanted to question what is going on in America but, I have held my tongue because of the arguments that have occurred as a result on this site. Now I feel I have been invited to speak out so I will. How that police officer could have kept his knee on Mr. Floyd says it all...he's black so he doesn't count. How F**hing dare he think that!!

So many people have died as a result of 'trigger happy people' over there so...before I go on with my rant let me ask you personally MA. Do you own a gun? Does any one in you household own one...if so, how many?

• D.
    3 years ago

I find the USA quite a scary place to be honest. The gun laws, the mass shootings, a president who is nothing more than a twitter celebrity, race crimes etc. The other day I was thinking how I feel sorry for the police officers who are just trying to do a good job? But then, I thought no, I considered somebody living there who does not have white skin...how can they ever feel safe? Protected? Equal? I will never understand how this feels. It's white privilege, and people need to recognise that it exists. It's 2020, and racism is still a prevalent part of our societies. You have to ask the question...would George Floyd have been killed if he was white? The answer is most probably 'absolutely not'. The fact we have to say 'black lives matter' is a MASSIVE problem. The fact we have to reaffirm something that should just be accepted by all is a travesty.

The problem is far greater than rioting, the problem is that a white police officer murdered an unarmed black man who pleaded for help. I'm not saying that the UK, Australia, NZ don't have their share of issues and problems, but would this happen in these respective countries? Riots? Possibly. But not at this scale, and you definitely would not have a white police officer murder a black man in public. As you said, Maryanne, there shouldn't have to be hate crimes for people to stand up and say 'you know what, this is a problem'. There shouldn't be another school shooting for people to say 'you know what, gun law is a problem.'

Silence is part of the problem. I saw something the other day that said 'If you have 1000 good cops and 10 bad cops, and the 1000 good cops don't report the bad cops, then you have 1010 bad cops.'

• Abed
    3 years ago

It is saddening to witness that racism still prevails, that black lives and minorities are victims to an unjust court system and detached priviliged hand down ideoligies of superiority and supermacy.

I've been watching footage on police brutality against protestors in the US, and my thoughts were "this force is multiplied by 100 in the middle east" or "voila, the real democracy is unleashed".

I am all hope that people in the US will stand by their black siblings and not defend a racist brutal regime that, while advocating for "greatness again", is pushing the country downhill to a 3rd world high-fenced dictatorship.

• nouriguess
    3 years ago

I'm not from the US, but I have to share my thoughts.

I can't believe racism still exists. That there are educated people who think less of black people. It's a tragedy. It's shameful. I watched a series a long while ago (When They See Us), and I cried for hours. Injustice is a crime. The regime should be accountable for that. Powerful people MUST use their power to stop hate crimes, or they should lose that power.

The cop should be, in my opinion, charged with first degree murder. He wasn't preplanning to kill that innocent man, yes, but he did it out of hate, out of racism, out of ignorance. So he should get the maximum penalty, because that's what he deserves.

I hate to say that, but USA is leaning towards being governed by dictators. Similar protests have happened here in Syria, when people of certain religion were murdered by the regime, and then civil war started. I think all of this is PLANNED. There are agendas designated to cause this situation of chaos. And nothing can stop those agendas except the voice of USA people and activists. Preventing racism and murders is every citizen's job. It's everyone's duty or the country will turn into a battlefield, like Syria.

• Poet on the Piano replied to Hellon

Yes, Hellon, please speak out!

And people have the audacity to think this is not about race, like what? Do you see this happening all the time to white people? If it was, there would be outrage, I can guarantee it. Not to mention, George Floyd was already handcuffed, which shouldn't matter because if he's pleading and begging for his life, he should be helped and listened to no matter what. No matter what the circumstance. A person's dignity shouldn't rely on their status or speculation of what he did or didn't do. What matters is he stopped resisting and wanted the police to stop taking his breath away. It's sickening that it had to take the footage being released for people to realize "hey, this isn't right". But this has happened SO many other times, just not in the media as much. The last time something was this publicized was perhaps Michael Brown protests in 2014? I'm glad this is getting a great deal of coverage, though there's a certain amount of irony when it takes such an aggressive situation for the general public to realize the severity of police violence/brutality. I think only now, because it's such irrefutable evidence and one can't possibly defend the police here, that people are finding it okay to criticize police. If that makes sense. Before, there were always excuses that came out as to why people would support the police in assaulting someone. It comes down to people of color being seen as a threat, EVEN WHEN HANDCUFFED.

I remember in 2018, a Black man was fatally shot in NYC. He was holding a shower head and supposedly "pointing" it at others, but the police mistook it for a gun. Saheed Vassell was dealing with mental illness and was off medication according to neighbors. He had a son. He most likely was never going to hurt anyone. The police had no methods of de-escalation. When they feel threatened, they'll do anything to preserve their lives. What about anyone else's? I will never understand shooting to kill. Yet, there will be people who will say, "well that was an honest mistake, they had to be sure." Since when is anyone else's lives more important than others? As Danny said, the fact we even have to say Black Lives Matter says it all.

Look at all the names, all the lives, memories, souls killed in cold blood over the decades:
    https://www.npr.org/2020/05/29/865261916/a-decade-of-watching-black-people-die

According to https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/
    Black people are 3 times more likely to be killed by police than white people and 1.3 times more likely to be unarmed.

Part of me thinks some people get off on the violence that people of color face. They're not going to believe police violence is a continuous problem unless it's shown to this degree. And they still might become numb to it or not see it as "real" because it's not happening to them. Many other cases have been "well he was asking for it", "he seemed suspicious". It shouldn't take a clear-cut example like in George Floyd's case for people to start waking up and talking about the tactics police use in arrests, etc.

Finally, in answer to your question: No, I do not own a gun. I'm fairly certain my dad owns one and hides it in our household (really wish he would disclose this but I guess it's not my business. I live at home btw). I personally do not feel comfortable owning a gun, mostly due to issues with anxiety. I think with proper training, it would be fine, but personally I'd be afraid emotions and feelings in the moment would jeopardize any training. My opinions sure have changed over the years as I used to believe in gun control as kind of a one stop solution. I still believe in logical gun reform, however, I think it's key to understand a certain part of history in regards to gun reform. I 100% trust and would rather have guns in the hands of minorities then in the hands of entitled people who, though it's their right, may not have an impending need to have one like minorities who may be threatened or harassed more often. Tighter gun laws could have the potential to put more people of color in danger. And I would fear their right to bear arms would be infringed upon. Referencing the Black Panthers, who bore arms to protect innocent civilians, and the Mulford Act in 1967 supported by the NRA and Reagan, which repealed a law allowing loaded firearms to be carried in public, initial gun reform seems like it was used to limit minorities' access to guns, and their ability and freedom to protect themselves. Also, black codes as an example of white people trying to suppress others' freedoms and enact restrictive laws. Several articles point to gun control having a discriminatory history, which is why I'm wary when, though they may have the best intentions, people immediately shout "gun control" as the ONLY solution.

EDIT:

And well-put, Abed and Noura. Thank you <3 Very profound reminder: "preventing racism and murders is every citizen's job." and yes, I hope too that more and more people can stand by and with those who face this violence. Especially when a lot of us in the US have some kind of platform or privilege, we just have to use it to amplify others' voices and needs, not our own.

• nouriguess

Yes, I, for one, respect you so damn much, Marryanne, for caring about others' lives, and for fighting for black people's right. Speaks a lot about you as a person.

That goes for all of you, Daniel, Abed and Hellon.

• Darren
    3 years ago

I haven't watched it. Yet I know of it and have seen the pictures.

There has always been a problem with racism in America it seems.
    The fact that anybody can look at anybody else as different or less than them because of skin colour really is deplorable.

I hope that cop feels an ounce of remorse.

The police over there seem too quick to shoot. Yes they are doing a difficult job, a very dangerous job.
    I'm more proud of the UK police force today than ever before.
    They don't have guns, (apart from special units)

I guess Americans just enjoy killing each other.

• Poet on the Piano

^ Yep, there's been a good commentary this weekend about how police should be trained. I'm obviously not in the force nor do I know anyone in it, but word is getting around that other city's police actually joined the peaceful protest. If we're unarmed and just carrying signs, why not work with us or at least lay down your arms. Friday night was a freaking day of history, because tear gas was thrown at EVERYONE, even those peacefully out of the streets and in the grass. The news were teargassed, a 3 year-old girl teargassed. And our news reporters filming live said there had been no order to disperse, which is the very least the police should do if taking action.

Just got back from downtown with my sibling and she made us a teargas solution in case we needed it; several other people had signs saying they could provide teargas relief.

Guess what happened the whole day?? Peaceful protest and chants. You know why?? Because there was little police presence, aside from cruisers circling every so often. They let everyone do their thing. They gave us space. There were snipers on the roof the whole day though. We laid on the city sidewalks at 6 pm for 8 minutes and 46 seconds in honor of George Floyd. A great majority driving by honked and raised their fists in the air in solidarity.

People only resorted to vandalism and throwing things at the police because the police showed up automatically with riot gear at the beginning of this. They were looking for a fight. I don't consider it violence to throw something back at the police if they're willynilly tossing canisters with no end in sight.

Keep saying their names. See if there are gofundmes in your area or help for those who were hit or arrested.

We had around 100 arrests Friday and Saturday. One protestor had to have his eye surgically removed today from being hit with a canister. Doesn't matter if you haven't been personally affected, stand up anyway.

• prasanna

Between the inane gun culture (I've always been anti-gun, but I think an outright ban on guns in America wouldn't work, and needs way stronger gun-control first) and the systematic racism, I don't even know where to start. Not to say that Canada doesn't have it's fair share of troubles it does; the SIU (special investigations unit, a watchgroup that is called out whenever a death/injury occurs when police is present) is investigating claims that a black woman was pushed off the balcony of a high-rise apartment while the cops say that she was suicidal and jumped, the highway of tears ( a stretch of highway where native women go missing, kidnapped), among others.

The plight of black people in society as a whole, not just America, is sickening. Anti-blackness runs deep in nearly every society - a lot of people of colour still carry anti-black sentiments and I could never, ever wrap my head around it. As a person of colour, I've faced my share of racism, I've seen how systematic the racism can be, being stopped randomly by police for 'being suspicious' (i'm dark brown, and was sitting on a bench at a public school as a teenager waiting for a friend). Knowing this, it should be extremely easy to take a second and realize that this is something that black people have to face everyday. Yet, you still have anti-blackness sentiments that run deep in certain cultures. A side note; the people who were/became racist towards asian people because of covid make me absolutely sick. That's a separate issue on its own, and I don't wan't to detract from the thread.

Getting back on thread, MLK's quote of 'a riot is the language of the unheard' rings extremely true as of late. This has been going on for years, the amount of black people who were murdered by the hands of police is staggering; you have yet another case of it, and when people go to protest it it's a problem. But as soon as white people were openly carrying ARs to protest quarantine stuff, the police handled that like pros. You think the police would have the awareness to realize that the protest stems from police brutality and respond accordingly, but instead they're still brutalizing people out here:

A nine year old girl was maced: https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/video-shows-milk-poured-over-face-of-child-pepper-sprayed-in-seattle-protest
    They shot canisters at people who were obeying curfew and staying on their property: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LozQg0oX-Gw
    They shoved an elderly man who's hard of hearing for 'not complying' with orders: https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1267033010295042048

There's so much more out there; people who were dressing up as medics to attend the wounded were being deliberately targeted by the police to stop them, so they had to stop identifying themselves, they have been shooting at the media, they've been shooting at people complying with orders with non-lethal bullets that can still kill and injure.

Another man was arrested, who was following orders yet they still release a police dog on him and took their time to stop the dog from attacking, and after searching and finding no weapons (they arrived because someone called the cops on him saying he pointed a gun), they arrested him for resisting arrest which is not true.
    https://twitter.com/DanielNewman/status/1266771549442453511?s=20

And then you have people who are coming out of state to Minneapolis and other places deliberately to cause havoc; there's been numerous reports about how pallets of bricks are being positioned outside of protest areas, how police cars are being left unattended, cops deliberately going 'undercover' to incite violence (they supposedly investigated but the person bears a striking resemblance, and the officer's ex wife said that it was him, and it's something he would do as well). Most of the people that are causing havoc are white people as well: it's not to say that black people aren't engaging in the riots, but you deliberately have racist people going out to make the protesters look worse by inciting riots and stuff:

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1267267841868402689
    https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/31/black-woman-confronts-two-white-protesters-tagging-starbucks-blm/

and so much more on twitter.

It's sickening, how america is split into 'white america' and 'black america'. I don't understand how in this day and age, someone could see all this and remain quiet and not speak up. The problem lies within the police as a whole, that system needs to be reworked; make officers financially liable, mandate that they are insured. The supreme court ruled that cops do not have to protect you by the constitution, change that. They're funded by the public, so they better be serving and protecting the public!

• BOB GALLO
    3 years ago

https://www.facebook.com/rehana.qazi/videos/10223029759111249/

• Poet on the Piano
    3 years ago

Also, the countless Palestinians who need to be remembered just as much.
    A 32-year-old unarmed, disabled Palestinian, was killed by Israeli forces yesterday.
    Eyad Halaq. Say his name.

• Hellon

MA I asked if you or anyone in your household owned a gun because, in most of these reports it states that the victim was 'unarmed' but the loophole here, to me, is the possibility that the person was armed because of the gum laws over there and most people do have a firearm therefore if you reach in your pocket for ANYTHING you become a threat. Stricter gun rules would make it much harder for the police/anyone to hide behind this excuse. If no one has a gun, no one who innocently reaches in the pocket, bag etc would seem a threat. Just my thoughts.

The first black person I remember being beaten up by police over there (with video footage I mean) was Rodney King (he didn't die on that day but his life was never the same and he died aged 47 from drowning although he was a strong swimmer and surfer) the officers were tried and acquitted. That was over 25 years ago .. more than a quarter century ago and nothing has changed has it? Say the name...Rodney King.

Ahmaud Arbery, while not murdered by police, was murdered by white father & son for jogging down the street and looking 'suspicious'. Say the name Ahmaud Arbery.

• Ben Pickard replied to Hellon

I deplore racisim of any kind and let me make something absolutely clear - what happened to George Floyd and countless others before is disgusting and needs addressing, absolutely. However, I do feel there's a danger of isolating the police almost as a seperate entity from the rest of us which is discrimination in itself. It only takes a few to make some terrible decisions and suddenly the proverbial apples are all rotten according to the masses. Isolating incidents and dealing with them efficiently and justly is far more constructive but also educating everyone from an early age. Being a policeman is not the issue - it's the mentality of an individual and that is not exclusive to the law.
    Most police are just ordinary, decent people who do not discriminate in any way and just want to go out, help their local communities and go home safe and sound to their families in the evening knowing they have done a good job.
    I should point out that I am not a policeman nor is anyone in my family, but I do know a few.

• Hellon replied to Ben Pickard
    3 years ago

"Most policemen are just ordinary, decent people who do not discriminate"

What about the three officers who stood by and did absolutely NOTHING to help George Floyd even though they could hear him plead for help..how ordinary are they? how decent are they? Did they discriminate? Best ask Mr Floyd's family.

• Ben Pickard
    3 years ago

But they are still just a few. To label all policemen in America as racist or in any way prejudice is simply wrong and does too many decent people a huge dishonour. I won't be forced into agreeing that all police are bad just because it's politically correct to do so at this volatile time. I just believe that some moderation is needed when looking at what;s going on at the moment. There is absolutely a deep lying rot that affects societies worldwide even in the 21st century, but it isn't exclusive to the police but that also doesn't mean everyone is racist.
    There are too many hardworking, good law enforces out there to just blanket them all with the term 'racist'.

• Ben Pickard
    3 years ago

Anyway, as long as someone like Trump is president, there is no hope for American progression - not in any meaningful way, anyway.

• Poet on the Piano replied to Ben Pickard
    3 years ago

Ben, I respect the heck out of you, and while I do believe you shouldn't be forced into believing something that you genuinely don't, I disagree with your other aspects. I also don't think this has to do with political correctness... this is not only addressing one man's life but decades of documented police violence where there was little to no consequences for the police. The police is this case happened to be quickly reprimanded, but it's pending whether or not they'll have charges, to what degree, etc.

The issue I see with the mentality that "a few bad apples ruin the whole bunch" is that, in some way, it's still excusing police. I feel like it's a sort of a cop-out, pardon the pun. Try to see it more as not an individual level we're focusing on, but what they represent. It's the system they uphold that welds power and often an abuse of power over vulnerable people. You can have the best intentions in the world, which I'm sure many do, yet that is not going to suddenly change the way police address issues and how they react. Again, it's less about the person in uniform and more about what they stand for and whether or not history repeats itself. I would actually have respect for police if they realized this and turned in their badge, walked away, and vowed to not be a part of the force until being a police officer no longer instills fear in people of color. "protect and serve" now advocates murder. It's not like this has happened one time. As a kid, I remember growing up hearing more and more news about unarmed Black men. Not unarmed white people, almost always people of color.

This is not some sh**storm on the police just for the hell of it. It's about the police structure, its purpose and its history. They need to be EXTENSIVELY trained in de-escalation methods. It took 3 days in our city for the a handful of police to actually converse with the protestors, then march together. Only a few police officers were willing though. I think it's a step in the right direction however it does not excuse the groups of civilians teargassed without warning. That's agitation of an already sensitive and emotional topic. I don't think that can or should be easily forgiven or glossed over. Conversations with our police need to happen, dialogue needs to be open, but a great deal of trust was broken in our city when the police went on the defensive. You can find some pretty moving pictures and articles where police in cities actually marched with protestors, or protected them. In Flint, Michigan, the police chief asked the protestors what HE could do. He listened to them. That's being a proper civil servant.

How long are we going to wait for change? People of color have been endlessly bringing this up for decades and not much progress as been made. #1 thing that needs to happen is laws to hold police accountable. Harsher penalties. Officers not only being fired, but arrested if found guilty. No protection and sweeping under the rug from city leaders or other policemen. Without that, there's always going to be unrest, and I don't blame anyone for feeling the amount of anger and rage. We can't possibly understand if we're not people of color. We just can't. That's why it's dangerous to downplay and apologize for cops instead of focusing on their abuse of power first and foremost.

Whether you agree or disagree with the methods used during the riots, it's woken people up, and if the flow of everyday life is thrown into chaos, it's kind of a sign that what we're used to in our life and our own comfort levels have to take a break. It's time to feel uncomfortable. Riots, in history, have accomplished things. I owe my rights as an LGBTQ+ person to the Stonewall Riots, and I bring this up with the tie-in to police and it being pride month officially. Think of the abolitionist movements, the suffragettes, etc. While violence alone didn't secure these rights, there's a discussion to be had about what methods of protests will work and how goals can be achieved. I don't find it fair to police others' ways of protesting if we're not being the ones denied our rights in the first place.

Racism is systematic. Remember that.

• Violet Raven
    3 years ago

• prasanna
    3 years ago

I'm assuming you're talking about the ACAB (All cops are bad movement) but here's the thing though; the system that they work in is inherently flawed. If a cop in the UK was to say something racist; they'd be reprimanded by the other cops in the room because 1) it's the right thing to do, 2) if they hadn't spoke up, they also would be reprimanded. There's absolutely no accountability amongst cops in america what so ever; they sent out the national guard to protect the cop before he was arrested; sending the message to the public that they will protect their own regardless.

Here for example, none of other officers stopped the officers who were arresting him, who was just making a speech: https://twitter.com/sweeeetdee_/status/1267319103167107072

They're complicit, they go along with it, even if they're not racist or wouldn't do do the same actions, they're not doing anything at all to call them out. These are not just isolated incidents; go peruse twitter for a bit, search up protests/black lives matter and the amount of videos out there of police officers brutalizing protesters, wrongfully arresting protesters, shooting non-lethal bullets indiscriminately into large crowds and/or even on their own properties, brandishing guns is insane. They work in a corrupt system, they are complicit. They all protect one another because they expect the same to be done if they ever find themselves in the hot seat. When people of colour, black people, trans people are stopped by the police, they don't think, i hope the cop that I get is a good one, they're worried for their lives, period. The system is so conducive to protecting bad cops, it feels disingenuous to say "it's only a couple of cops that are bad, everyone is fine". They're not speaking up, they're not protesting for better policing, they're not standing in solidarity with the death of george floyd publicly even if privately they agree that he was murdered.

• Ben Pickard replied to prasanna

In truth, Im probably ignorant to the differences between the police forces in America and the UK and have been too focused on the way the system works here. Also, perhaps I am in no position to comment considering I havent experienced what it's like to be a black American, so I apologise if any offence has been caused.
    I do believe that it is more the system in general that is the problem. There must be a good amount of officers in America who are not racist - remember, there are many black police who must hold their badges up with at least some degree of honour. Education from the ground up is clearly what's needed because we can certainly all agree that there is a serious issue.

• prasanna

Does anyone have valid info on what's going on in DC?

Edit: Seems like people were talking about there being a media blackout in DC but that doesn't seem accurate (?) Just wondering since Trump was hiding out in the bunker.

He's been calling on governors to respond strongly to the protests, throwing more fuel on this

• Poet on the Piano replied to prasanna

Trying to keep up with live updates between work... there's so much information out there. Don't know about the blackout.
    Isn't it great that Trump is literally escalating on every level and promoting more violence. I would have expected nothing more from him, especially with the lights off at the WH.

If people are able to, there are tons of twitter threads and ways to donate: https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/
    Donate to the memorial funds, to bail funds, you can even split the donations. If not able to donate, there are still tons of resources. If you're out in the heat of everything, record as much as you can. Plead not guilty if you're arrested. Read up on your rights.

• Hellon
    3 years ago

Just read this and honestly...had to shake my head in disbelief...

A Florida Sheriff has warned rioters that local residents "like guns" and will shoot on sight if troublemakers attempt to break into property or start fires.
    In a video currently circulating online, Sheriff Grady Judd of Polk County in Florida warned potential rioters not to bring trouble into suburban neighbourhoods.
    "The people of Polk County like guns, they have guns, I encourage them to own guns, and they're going to be inside their homes tonight with their guns loaded," Sheriff Judd said. And if you try to break into their homes tonight and try to steal, to set fires, I'm highly recommending they blow you back out of the house with their guns."

This is coming from a sheriff officer...a man in charge...a man who has been placed in charge of protecting people...all people.

• BOB GALLO
    3 years ago

https://www.facebook.com/flora.kasonkomona/videos/10160012236102571/

• Everlasting

This story is over 5 years ago. I don’t mean to take away any blame from the cops who didn’t intervene but this story just shows what happen to good cops if they do.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/qvaqa3/buffalo-cop-loses-job-and-pension-after-she-intervenes-with-fellow-officer-choking-a-suspect

• silvershoes replied to Everlasting

Everlasting, that's very upsetting (though not surprising)... I shared to my Facebook and included a petition that folks can sign to help Horne get the pension she deserves. What a horrible injustice.

http://chng.it/9sVRggsNLQ

• Poet on the Piano

Thought we could continue the discussion with police reform ideas? I've only lived in the US (Indiana specifically), so I'm pretty ignorant to the perspectives and purpose of police in other places but please share anything that's worked in your area, if you're able to. I don't know the statistics of if these changes drastically help, or if it doesn't do much to decrease police violence.

Some ideas our local community came up with:
    - Demilitarization
    - Bias training and de-escalation training
    - Body cam footage accessible to public
    - Badge numbers identifiable to public
    - End to qualified immunity so police can be held accountable
    - Civilian review board for police complaints
    - Police with a history of domestic violence facing penalties or off the force
    - Inability for police to intimidate or threaten press/media; documentation is key
    - Protest permits, more open communication so streets can be blocked off ahead of time and police work to protect protestors instead of antagonizing

In a few hours, there's going to be a Unity march in our city. The mayor finally agreed to show up. Just days ago he made a damning statement saying he supported all the tactics used by the police. The organizers of the protest reached the chief of police and there's approval for streets to be blocked off today. It's a start, I guess, but I'm still skeptical as to how much of it is genuine vs the city trying to save face (and not deal with a civil suit, which we're petitioning for). I've talked with many who are angry it took 6 days for leaders to show up and how it only took rubber bullets, mace and teargas for the police to realize they broke trust and now their image/reputation is at stake.

• prasanna replied to Poet on the Piano
    3 years ago

I like the idea of everything you said minus the body cam footage being accessible to public, some people may not want to be recorded and would like some privacy, and depending on the implementation of body cams, they may be on 24/7 so we might see sensitive stuff, unless you meant like whenever an incident occurs, the body cam footage should be made available asap for all parties involved in the incident. They should be responsible for ensuring the body cam is operational before going out on calls, and if they purposefully disable it or tamper with it, treat it as a crime. The cost for storing and archiving all the body cam footage can be quite high, but I suppose it's a better use of money more so than the latest gadgets they buy from the military surplus.

Someone also floated out the idea of having them insured and licensed like doctors are, so they're more personally vested in being a good cop since their insurance rates can go up and/or license is at stake, with the license review board compromised of a healthy mix of civilians and police officers with good track records. It also opens up the officer to being sued as opposed to the police department itself, another reason why they would be more personally vested in being a good cop, since if it's the entire police department, they're more likely to sweep stuff under the rug and be chummy with one another as seen now.

• BOB GALLO

Very Funny. He was sitting mining his business the police put handcuff him then...
    Never mind the the persian voice over.

https://www.facebook.com/106558167575379/videos/583143595935185/?v=583143595935185

• Hellon
    3 years ago

Let's add Rayshard Brooks to the ever growing list...

• Poet on the Piano

Dominique "Rem'mie" Fells & Riah Milton, two trans women of color.

Say their names. May they rest in power and not be forgotten.

• Poet on the Piano
    3 years ago

Happy Juneteenth- a commemoration of the day the last slaves were freed in Galveston, Texas... two and a half years after Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation. Sending love to all and hope there are many celebrations and many voices lifted up today. Black lives matter.

• Poet on the Piano
    3 years ago

Just wanted to share a creator who gives some awesome resources and insight into why we can't reform police:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBazDnubwwA

• silvershoes

These senseless, tragic deaths at the hands of monsters are heartbreaking... I haven't been able to stop thinking about Elijah McClain for days. His final words as he was beaten and tormented by officers keep ringing in my head.

• BOB GALLO replied to Poet on the Piano

Wow

https://iroon.com/irtn/blog/15384/i-can-t-breathe/?fbclid=IwAR37MX5kRjoPXf_NVJV51moCrRQjtH-dOwPQ0rBSsazTV5stCZ0Ncn5F-10

• silvershoes replied to BOB GALLO
    3 years ago

That gave me chills, DD.

• BOB GALLO replied to silvershoes
    3 years ago

Facebook heart, two of them!!

• Sunshine replied to BOB GALLO
    3 years ago

omg ... I kind of lost some breath too. The scene was so present. This is so touching in a cold sad way ..

• BOB GALLO replied to Sunshine
    3 years ago

two love for you too