How long does it take you to write a poem?

• Pedro
    15 years ago

Just wondering how long it takes you to write a poem. Well for me it usually takes anywhere from 10 - 30 minutes.

• BrokenREALiTy
    15 years ago

It depends.
    When I wasn't suffering from writer's block, it didn't take too long. When I have inspiration, doesn't take too long. But when I don't ... it takes at least twenty minutes -__-

• Silent Voice and Tender Heart
    15 years ago

First I have to have inspiration. Once I have inspiration, it doesn't take very long. For example, my last poem was a suggestion from my husband. He wanted a poem on jello. It took me a total of 5 minutes to write. Others I have started and finished on a different day.

• The Prince
    15 years ago

It depends on how long/short the poem is I think, I redraft and redraft sometimes but if it's from the heart, it could be really quick, for example I've posted a poem called 60 seconds because thats how long it took roughly =]

• Mr. Darcy
    15 years ago

It really can vary, as mentioned above. I can real a poem off in minutes, alternatively it may never be truly finished. As my writing skill improves, it causes me to look at old work with new eyes. I don't always alter my work, but I do tend to fiddle here and there.

• NuovoVesuvio
    15 years ago

5 mins. If I spent longer they would be so much better.

• Corinne
    15 years ago

When it's an inspired poem - it can be pretty much instantaneous - with very little editing. If it's a more structured poem, where it must conform to a set rhyme scheme or line pattern, that can take longer...perhaps finished in an hour, with a bit of polishing.

• NinjaGirl
    15 years ago

It doesn't take me very long to write unless i have writer's block, in which case i try not to write, or when my teacher catches me writing when i'm supposed to be doing work

• Steady Stereotype
    15 years ago

Ermmm

when i haven;t enough inpiration or emotion... FOREVER!! an by that i mean theyre still yin around unfinished xP

but when i have it take bout yea 15-30 mins i thinkk?

• The Angel of Secrets
    15 years ago

I usually use about ten minutes, depending on the length and amount of inspiration:)

• StandStill
    15 years ago

Some take 5; they never take longer than 20 minutes..

• aubrey
    15 years ago

Not that longg, i usually only write when i cant speak with my mouth so i just write them down.

• David ODonnell
    15 years ago

Does it really matter on how long it takes?

• ForbiddenSnowflake
    15 years ago

It doesnt take me long at all. As soon I start it just comes flooding out. But I can only begin a poem at random times. I dont sit down and think ok im going to write a poem. It comes on naturally and then I wont stop till its done

• David ODonnell
    15 years ago

'Angel From The Nightmare' Try to not focus so much on it at first, I know you can do it! ;)

• Vix
    15 years ago

It can take seconds (honestly) or it can take years (again, honestly).

It depends, but:

I doubt anyone could write a sonnet in perfect iambic pentameter about say...the experience of solitary confinement (two stanzas, sestet and an octave) in a matter of minutes or even hours.

Generally:

If your poems are only taking a few minutes or hours to start and to finish you're either a genius or maybe you could use looking deeper in to what you're writing and what your favourite poets are or were writing?

For example...what's a sonnet or a pantoum? What is iambic tetrameter? Why did Shakespeare use blank verse as the language of the courts? When was the romantic period and who were its most famous poets? Can you name three restoration poets? How often do you write villanelles, or practise writing dorsimbras? When you read a poem by another writer can you identify the form, or whether they've used a paticular meter or structure etc? If not then you are only reading the poem like looking at the tip of an iceberg. Read deeper. Make drafts. Learn more...and in turn when you write your poems will deepen and develop. Evolve.

• HumanAngel
    15 years ago

It depends on how I am feeling. Sometimes I can write a poem in half hour but if I'm torn with lots and lots of emotions, it can take up to 2 hours.

• Bre Monique
    15 years ago

Sometimes I get an idea for a poem and I start writing without stopping, which usually takes me about 5-10 minutes. And then there are some other poems I've had saved on my computer for months because I haven't figured out how to end them yet.

• Nee
    15 years ago

Hmmm...If I got the inspiration or I have lots of emotions, I might write it in less than 10 mins...But if not then I just don't write, don't even try I mean

• Nic39uy
    15 years ago

Geez for me it depends on what kind of poem i want to do, then from there it also is unpredictable. you shouldn't rush poetry, take your time and take it slowly. but usually when i'm in the mood, the longest is a hour and the shortest maybe 10 mins at least.

• Dustin S
    15 years ago

I write songs but even during writers block it takes me about 10 minutes to have 4 verses, 3 chorus lines, and 20 lines with each verse, 4 lines every chorus. It gets easier after a while

• Kevin
    15 years ago

It shouldnt matter how long it takes you, your creating a piece of art in letters and words
    but i say,, depends on how fast you can think of rhyming words and how fast you can put them together

• meisje92
    15 years ago

Yeah it depends, sometimes not even a minute, sometimes more than a week

xx

• The Lonely Rose
    15 years ago

Hmmm it usually takes me bout 30 mins....
    but editing takes a few days cuz i read it over and over then all of a sudden it hits tht this or tht diddnt felt rite.......

so yea..

• Libbeeeee
    15 years ago

Well, sometimes I go to write, and I can't think of a single thought that really strikes me as a good poem line, so it takes a while there...

Other times, I can write then in less than five minutes, just because I write what I feel..

And other times, I write really long ones, at least two pages typed, that takes a while longer.. about thirty minutes..

For me, it depends on inspiration level, and my emotions.

• adriaan
    15 years ago

My first few poems I posted on here took around 90 seconds to write. Even I was surprised at that. :p

The longer ones over 20 stanzas...about 15-20 minutes. I don't really need to plan unless I'm deliberately trying to rhyme. It just comes out.

• Frozen hearT
    15 years ago

It's depends on my damn mood..............

• Lori
    15 years ago

Well I think that it depends and that it is different for everyone. But it usually takes me about an hour to get it just right...lol i'm a perfectionist

• Adelle
    15 years ago

If I have an idea in mind can take as little as 5 mins if im struggling with ideas or insperation often it can take much much longer many times I have started one and finished it another day.

• khobo
    15 years ago

It all depends on how inspired I am at that moment, or how strongly I feel about something. Lately, I havent been able to finish anything, I mean I start something, and have a few lines, but then I quit 'cause I cant seem to figure out what I want to say. So, if I'm inspired, it would be around half an hour to an hour. If not, then I'll never finish most of the time ^^;

• Blueleo
    15 years ago

I tend to agree that the more experience you have as a poet, the longer it takes to write a poem. You start to understand the different types of poetry and how to use a meter and what phrases kill a poem and what phrases make it flow. Then you start to see problems with everything you write. It's the same thing as writing a book, you write a chapter and then through it away because it completely went off track. It's much easier to notice in a book and a lot harder to care in a poem unless you are actually going to try to publish it.

• David
    15 years ago

My best poem was written in less than 3 minutes, then 2 min or so of editing, finished.

others can take months, so there is no timelimit, it depends on your method of writing, if its waiting for the right words then writing them.

or sitting down and just writing then submitting. not letting it rest and build up inside you. to allow you to go deeper or more meaningful....

DJ

• Lauren
    15 years ago

Not very often do I just sit down and write. I always have paper and a pen with me, and if a phrase or something comes in to my head I write it down. I write tons of sentences, phrases, and fragments down, then I sit down put it all together and edit it.

• Invited
    15 years ago

It depends how long it takes for you to come up with something. Mine just come to me as a matter of interest and seeking to get the paper and annonotate what is in my mind. Sometimes it takes me some time for it flow in my head.

• Wolf Haines
    15 years ago

I have been known to write poems in seconds. but have also been known to take years to complete one. sometimes they flow, sometimes you have to work on them. draft, re draft, change, change back. experiment. beauty of poetry is that it is YOURS whatever you want it to be it shall be. there are no guidelines, no rules. just your words scattered onto a sheet. however long it takes you to do that is entirely up to you.

• Xx Alone in my Quandary xX
    15 years ago

Well,in my case it depends on mood.
    But,usually takes 10-15 minutes. . .sometimes write within seconds but obvi0usly such poems are always rough and hard to go through.

• Ray Blue
    15 years ago

10 minute poem are inspired poems, know that mine are not so I take time. I usually take a day or two. Maybe a week depending on the mood.

• Thomas
    15 years ago

Depends. Usually I only write when something comes to mind, but those usually take from 10 minutes to... 3 hours. As for trying to write with no inspiration, I can't do it.

• jess and cait
    15 years ago

Not long at all 10-15 min but when i have no ideas 30-40 min

• Max Krakers
    15 years ago

When I find the inspiration for a poem writing it takes me less than 10 min. Without inspiration writing a poem is useless,( a poems without feeling isn't worth reading)