Is it wrong to write...

• SweetDreamer
    19 years ago

I know you're supposed to write what u feel, and put your true emotions into a poem, and I do that. But what if you really have had a major writer's block, and u just don't know what to write about, so u write about things you've never felt, or about things that have never happened to you. Does that make the poem really bad, because it's not your true feelings, and the poem has nothing to do with who u really are?

• John Holley
    19 years ago

i think the best poems r poems that u really felt but that dosen't make "made up" poems bad ones. one of my fav poems is "where were you" and that didnt actually happen to me, nor did i ever feel like that. but its stilla great poem.

• Kill The Complex
    19 years ago

i believe that no matter what you write any feelings you have its still art just as long as your not trying to make yourself sound like someone your not then thats not cool but you just have to write what you wanna write and dont let anyone's opinions get in the way of how or what you write about its your talent to show it!!

keep rockin

Emmerz

• ♥•oOo Nikki oOo•♥©
    19 years ago

Not Always Because I Write About Blades And Self Harm When I've Never Done That Kind oF A Thing But Yet I Get Pretty Good Ratings On Them..Sometimes Its Good To Touch Areas You Haven't Been Through Yourself xoxo-Nikki-xoxo

• StarvingForPerfection
    16 years ago

I don't think it's bad at all. It's good to look at things from someone elses point of view. I write poems about situations that I've never been in, and they still turn out really good.

• Patience
    16 years ago

I don't think it is wrong to do that it is just showing you understand other peoples feelings and views on whatever you have written about

• kitkat girl
    16 years ago

I would have to agree with most people that its ok to write about feelings that you do not have at the moment. You probably have felt what you are writting about in your poem, at sometime.

• Viola
    16 years ago

No, actually there is nothing wrong with puting yourself in someone else's position and writting a poem from their perspective..this is good skill. However, I think for some people it is a bit harder to make those kinds of poems (the ones that are not about your own life experiences) real and heartfelt..mainly because you, yourself, are not really feeling the emotion. But still I think it's a good idea to try..I've done it with a few of my poems. It does not make the poem bad at all.
    good luck with it! =]

--Viola

• lish
    16 years ago

I do that aswell and at first i thought there was something wrong with it and that i wasnt a true poet, but now i realise its your own poetry and you dont have to write about what you feel you can write about what you think you would feel in that situation

• Colourful Mind
    16 years ago

Some of my poems are not hoe i feel

• Mo
    16 years ago

I can usually tell if someone's poem didn't really happen to them - you usually have to have a great gift to be able to write convincingly about something you've never felt or been through. I find that if I want to write from another's perspective, I have to work at putting myself in that situation and conjuring up the feelings that would go along with that situation. Otherwise, if you write just from your head with no emotion backing it up - it usually comes out a bit stale and a poem with no emotion is like words without any depth. I've seen lots of people do it well tho. Like Sam (Bleeding for His Amusement) she writes brilliant pieces about things that are not personal to her life. Check out her poems for some tips. (Sam - hope you dont mind me saying that).

• njabulo b
    16 years ago

I found it so difficult to write about something i never felt but its does not matter i think, you just write what you like.

• Veamm
    16 years ago

Yeah..do what you feel is right..but don't think that it is wrong to write about something you did'nt feel becoz its not that as long as the poem makes you happy there is nothing to be afraid

• Jeffreys Girl
    16 years ago

Well in my opinion... its the only way for me to stop hurting on the inside so i do write what i feel and usually they are depressing but they make sense at least to me.. writing poetry makes me happy and im not afraid of that

• X l i l T a n i X
    16 years ago

I dont think its wrong to write about somthing that hasnt happened to you because maybe one day it will and the poem might help or something

• brie kelly wise
    16 years ago

It's not wrong at all. Because someone out there can relate to even if you can't. And what makes it special is that it was written by you.

• NearlyCrazy6
    16 years ago

No, i don't think it's bad at all.
    Sometimes I do that because i have gone through some rough times, but not truly horrible like in relationships and stuff. I try to imagine how i would feel in that persons shoes and it ends up with good poems. I toally think that its a good quality for poetry to be able to write in different view points

• kevin Boundy AKA the ghost
    16 years ago

I believe that you can write about what ever you want and i believe your the judge on whether its good or not i mean its alright to have creative criticism to try to help someone but only the writer knows if the emotion of the poem is right so why would anyone judge someone elses work if it comes from the heart it shouldnt matter

• Emilline
    16 years ago

I dont think its wrong, poetry is poety, i personaly cant write with out inspiration or things that have happened to me, but if you can write about things that dont apply to you, then more power to you!

• JEFF
    16 years ago

If the poem reads well i think thats all that matters.
    I've read quite a few that didn't seem to be from the heart, but were well writen. To me make me laugh, make me cry, pull me in, give me a reason to sigh. :)

• Indian Comma Bean
    16 years ago

Whenever I had writers block I would often write about things I haven't felt or experienced before just to see how it works, It's interesting to see what you come up with because you truly have to dig deep to bring everything out of the poem.

• Dino Dhamphyr
    16 years ago

I believe that as long as its ur own origional work it shouldn't matter weather or not if the poem is true or about ur true emotions, half the poems I write are from observing people and their lifestyle, and others are just made up... and besides its called creative writing for a reason, right??

• XxXcrystalXcontagiousXxX
    16 years ago

Ive wrote a poem about stuf that wasnt about me but it came to me so i wrote it that just shows people can write about others veiws

• KO
    16 years ago

I think it doesnt matter...but writing it in another persons point of view is good

• Lucy
    16 years ago

I like to write about things ive been through, but if im a bit depressed and my friend is going through a hard time sometimes ill write how their hard time is making me feel...with writers block tho, if i can manage to get anything worth reading on paper i feel blessed so if im struggleing with that, sometimes ill just write really goofy stuff, thats fun and silly to read, and then the passion for writing, just comes back.

• Mello193
    16 years ago

No not at all....you should write about what's in your world and in your own unique mind...some only write about fantasy so ur okay^^

• Lori
    15 years ago

I don't think so because as long as its in your own words and that you truly love your poem...then thats the only thing that matters :)

• adriaan
    15 years ago

Of course there's nothing wrong with it! Just about all my poems are about hate, desire, death, undead or something grisly like that. Inside, I'm not like that at all. I just like writing about stuff that's different.

• Independence Forever
    15 years ago

If you cvan't come up with an idea then just leave writing alone and eventually something will come to you, i was well on my way to writing up to 200 poems last year but the inspiration wasn't there so I stopped, now I think my poetry is better because I won't write unless I can channel the inspiration from my brain to my fingertips

• Michaela T
    15 years ago

It's ok to write without any emotions nor experience, but a poem made out of true emotion and feeling is more lovely.

• Lori
    15 years ago

Lol I actually write alot of my poems from what my friends of family have been through

• Blueleo
    15 years ago

Some people have a unique ability to feel what others are feeling. Some have a wild imagination. It's more fun to build a character and a personality and write about that character, but it's a lot harder to do then to write out of ones soul. Writing about something other then a personal experience is a skill that can be fine tuned. It's not a bad thing at all. You should be proud if you can do it.